Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Sprouting Update

My sprouting experiment is going great! I have already harvested and eaten my first batch of sprouts. It is very easy to do once you get a good system going.

I found that the jar method didn't work well for me because the washing was cumbersome, so I tried something different. Now it is just a matter of washing the sprouts twice a day which, with my new system, takes about one to three minutes depending on how many sprouts I have going.

It's kind of like having a pet: I have to make sure the sprouts are taken car of twice a day otherwise they get dry or smelly.



This is a sprout mix I made with radish, clover, alfalfa, and broccoli. Broccoli sprouts are supposed to be very good for you. I did a whole tray of broccoli sprouts but they got kind of stinky and I threw them in the composter. I didn't want to risk it. I think they had a bad start in the jar.

I soak the sprouts in a big bowl to get rid of the hulls.


I use my stove as a sprout drying rack, since I don't cook much. It works pretty well. I also use my stove as a dish drying rack since I seem to have lost mine along the way. It's a multipurpose surface.


I got sick of the jar method. Mainly, it is difficult to drain. It also bothers me that the sprouts grow all jumbled up together and don't get a chance to green. I started experimenting with different containers to grow sprouts in.

In this picture, the sprouts are in a corn based container I got salad in, and my plastic mousie is watching over. I punched some holes in the bottom to let it drain. This is the radish/broccoli sprout mix after I freed it from the jar.


Because of my concern for the sprouts' living conditions, I decided to try sprouting on dehydrator trays. This is working very well! I start the sprouts in jars until they are big enough to put on the sheets without falling through. I am also researching different store bought sprouters, although this dehydrator tray system seems to be working well. I like reusing things I already have.

I am planning to set up a metro rack so trays can be set up outside of the dehydrator. I would like them to get more sun. I also think it would be wonderful to have a whole rack of sprouts. I have some great ideas for the metro rack sprout center and I will post them here later.


This method seems to make washing go a lot faster because I don't have to worry about propping the jars up, making sure the bulk of the water gets out of the jar, or fretting over the living conditions of the each little sprout. It also gives the sprouts room to stretch, grow, and (most importantly) GREEN!

I wash the sprouts in the shower. I have a filter on my shower head so chlorine is filtered out. I have also read it is good to wash them with a spray and some pressure so the hulls are pushed away.


These are clover sprouts growing on the tray.


This is the sprout mix after being harvested. Nice and green, huh?



Yum!

No comments: